Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

I am not a criminal! - Sydney Cyclist

I am not a criminal! - Sydney Cyclist: "It all started back in January when I received a ticket for riding without a helmet. Then I got another one. After some umming and ahhinh, I decided to contest them - I just wasn't prepared to be branded a criminal for doing something that harms no-one, and delivers benefits to society.
So yesterday I had my day in court. Going to court involves a lot of hanging around, but my case was finally called and I went to the appointed courtroom at the Dowling Centre. It was a small courtroom, and the only people there were myself, the prosecutor and the court clerk. Whilst waiting for the magistrate the prosecutor and I got chatting, and it turned out he was a cyclist too, and he commuted in from Gordon each day. All very jolly.
Then the magistrate arrived, and we were off. The prosecution outlined the evidence (essentially just the citations I have been given), and the magistrate turned to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment